Simon T. Budd started a direct delivery milk service from his family farm in Mifflinville, Ohio. Today, it is located in Northeast Columbus near the intersection of Cleveland Ave. and Agler Rd.
Simon Budd (born 1877) moved the business (deemed “S.T. Budd Dairy Company”) to a new plant at 1390 Wesley Ave.
Budd Dairy Company had the only sanitary refrigerated milk wagon in the country.
On December 7, 1916, the Budd Dairy Building and plant opened in the Italian Village on Fourth St. between Fourth Ave. and Detroit.
The building expanded to accommodate more garages for horse drawn wagons and vehicles.
By 1925, the company increased sales volume to 3,000 gallons per day. All of which was delivered by 40 milk wagons.
Budd Dairy Company services grew with 41 horse drawn wagons, electric wagons and gas trucks.
William H. Budd sold the Budd Dairy Company to Hamilton Milk Co. of Columbus, Ohio. At the time, it was was a subsidiary of Borden Dairy Co., a national company.
Borden Dairy Company bought out Hamilton Milk Co. and Borden processed and delivered milk in the building from 1934 until 1967.
The last shipment of milk was processed in the building.